June 24, 2010 13:53 IST
Team owners emerged from the meeting saying they were happy, had put forth suggestions and now the BCCI would take decisions.
Vijay Mallya, owner of the Royal Challengers Bangalore, said after the meeting that a majority of the 10 franchises favoured all players going back into the auction, with none retained by any team. The players have largely been with the same team for three seasons after the first big auction in 2008 and a complete reshuffle and new bidding had been scheduled before the fourth.
Mallya also said the franchises wanted the spending cap to be increased from 7 million dollars to 9 million dollars for each. Lalit Modi had enforced a cap saying it would ensure a level-playing field rather than giving the opportunity to the richer franchises to walk away with the best players.
The team owners were of the view that the tournament format should not change, Mallya said, and there should be home and away games even with two new teams.
This was the first IPL meeting since Modi was suspended as Commissioner earlier this year and his absence hung in the air. While Mallya refused to answer Modi questions saying, “Lalit Modi is suspended so we have to look ahead now,” Ness Wadia, co-owner of Kings XI Punjab, said he missed Modi.
“Modi was hanged before a trial…he was hanged by the press,” Wadia said. He hoped Modi would be “given a fair trial by the BCCI and the Government of India.”
Wadia also confirmed that he and other owners of the team had applied to sell off stake and had received a good offer.
New IPL chief Chirayu Amin, BCCI president Shashank Manohar and secretary N Srinivasan, attended the informal meeting with the team owners to discuss the way forward before a crucial IPL governing council meet on Friday.
Read more at: http://www.ndtv.com/article/sports/first-ipl-meeting-without-lalit-modi-today-33534?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NdtvNews-TopStories+%28NDTV+News+-+Top+Stories%29