- June 13, 2010, 11:48 AM ET
- The remake of the 1984 film”The Karate Kid” finished first at the weekend box office, beating out the debut of “The A-Team.”
“The Karate Kid” (Sony/Columbia) which stars Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith, took in $56 million at the domestic box office, according to early estimates from Hollywood.com. Final figures are due out on Monday.
- “The A-Team” (Fox), a big-screen adaptation of the action series that ran on TV from 1983-1987, finished at No. 2 with $26 million.
- The 3-D animated film “Shrek Forever After” (Paramount/DreamWorks) finished in third place, taking in $15.8 million.
- Paul Dergarabedian, president of the box-office division of Hollywood.com, said in an email that the box office had been down three weeks in a row before the release of “The Karate Kid” and “The A-Team,” but this weekend it went up. “It took an 80’s flashback weekend to save Hollywood,” he said.
- Jaden Smith was born on July 8th, 1998 according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaden_Smith
- July 8th, 1998
- 7 + 8 +1+9+9+8 = 42 = his life lesson = what he is here to learn = Everybody loves Jaden.