May 10, 2012 8:39 AM ET
Montreal mayor Gérald Tremblay is urging people to “take back their city” after a series of smoke bombs paralyzed the public metro system, sending the island’s transit service into chaos at the peak of rush hour.
“No cause, legitimate or not, can justify any criminal action that jeopardizes public security,” a livid-looking Tremblay told reporters at a news conference.
Although the attacks haven’t been directly linked to ongoing student protests, Tremblay also urged students and politicians to get back to the negotiating table to settle their tuition dispute, and restore civil order.
Police released images of three women suspected in the smoke bomb attack.
Earlier in the day, Montreal police released images and descriptions of four suspects in the co-ordinated smoke bomb attack in the metro system at the height of rush hour this morning.
The photos, which police say were taken by citizens and witnesses, include shots of three young women riding together on the metro as well as shots of one young man.
All four suspects are described as around 25 years old.
No one immediately stepped forward to claim responsibility for the smoke bombs, though some Montrealers started lashing out at student protesters on Twitter soon after Montreal’s metro system shut down at around 8 a.m. ET.
Police said three smoke bombs were detonated on three lines at these stations:
- Jean Talon
- Lionel Groulx
They’re also investigating reports of smoke at the Snowdon, Pie IX and Fabre stations. Police initially said they’d recovered four smoke bombs, but later revised that number.
A police canine unit enters the Pie-IX metro station during the shut down Thursday. (Radio-Canada) The majority of service was restored just after 10 a.m. ET. The green line was fully up and running again about 30 minutes later.
The disruption left commuters scrambling to board buses and flag down taxis. Significant traffic jams were reported across the city’s core.
At the start of the demonstrations in February, protesters who wanted to travel en masse as part of mobile demonstrations used the metro system, causing minor disruptions.
More recently, the metro has been the target of acts of vandalism.
Officials aren’t linking the student demonstrations to the actions in the metro, however the major disruptions started as the tuition protests ramped up.
On April 16, someone pulled emergency brakes at five different stations shutting down the system temporarily.
At about the same time, bags of bricks were thrown on the metro tracks of three lines.
Police recovered smoke bomb canisters at three Montreal metro stations. (STM/CBC) The incident is the third smoke bombing in the metro system in recent weeks.
On April 18, someone set off a suspected smoke bomb on the green line, in the tunnel between Beaudry and Papineau stations. No one was injured but the incident disrupted service at the height of the morning rush hour.
Education Minister Line Beauchamp said it may be the work of someone taking advantage of the tuition dispute between students and the province.
She said it appears that small groups, not necessarily students, are using the situation to create this climate in Quebec.
It doesn’t help settle the situation with the students, Beauchamp said.
Two members of the Liberal government quickly expressed concern over Thursday’s metro attack.
Transportation Minister Pierre Moreau said such acts are completely inappropriate.
Moreau and Public Security Minister Robert Dutil are both acknowledging the incident suggests the metro may be too vulnerable.
They say additional security measures to prevent other incidents may be necessary.
Opposition parties put aside planned motions on the tuition dispute to present a joint statement condemning the events in the metro.
Québec Solidaire MNA Amir Khadir said he can’t find words to describe the morning events in Montreal. He said it stains the cause of those who protest peacefully.
Police are still investigating the attacks on the metro system and are expected to release images of the suspects later in the day.
“We’re looking at evidence and trying to find some clues which will bring us to the people who did this this morning and try to establish what exactly is the motive and circumstances,” said Const. Simon Delorme of the Montreal police.
“There’s a lot of things to verify and this is why our investigation is ongoing.”
Anyone with information to call Info-Crime at 514-393-1133.
Gérald Tremblay was born on September 20th, 1942 according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A9rald_Tremblay
September 20th, 1942
9 + 20 +1+9+4+2 = 45 = his life lesson = Violence. Investigation. Secrets. Mysteries. Things can go horribly wrong.
September 20th, 1942
9 + 20 +2+0+1+1 = 33 = his personal year (from September 20th, 2011 to September 19th, 2012) = Letting people walk all over him. Caving in.
33 year + 4 (April) = 37 = his personal month (from April 20th, 2012 to May 19th, 2012) = Violence in the heat of passion.
37 month + 10 (10th of the month on Thursday May 10th, 2012) = 47 = his personal day = Name recognition. Internationally known. Legacy.
comprehensive summary and list of predictions for 2012:
discover some of your own numerology for FREE at:
learn numerology from numerologist to the world, Ed Peterson:
Sex Numerology available at: