June 4, 2012 7:09 AM ET
Toronto police say they have made an arrest in connection with the deadly shooting inside the Eaton Centre on Saturday afternoon.
In a brief message on Twitter the police said: “Eaton Centre Shooting Update: An arrest has been made, no further details at this time.”
Sources told CBC News that the suspect turned himself in to police on Sunday night.
Police say they will provide an update on the arrest at a news conference at 2 p.m. ET at Toronto police headquarters.
Investigators had been working on the assumption that the shootings were likely gang-related.
Ahmed Hassan, the 24-year-old killed at the scene, was almost certainly an intended target of the shooting, police said. They added that another man who was shot several times in the neck and chest was also likely targeted.
“It may be that [the two people] have gang affiliations, or it may be just the one of them, but we do believe that our deceased in this case may have had some gang affiliation,” Det. Sgt. Brian Borg said at a news conference Sunday.
The youngest victim of the shooting — a 13-year-old boy who was shot in the head — was an innocent bystander caught up in the attack. The Grade 8 student was visiting Toronto with his family at the time of the attack.
“I am very pleased to say that he is responding well to treatment, and is described as being in critical but stable condition,” Borg said.
The four other people who suffered gunshot wounds have all been released from the hospital.
The Eaton Centre is a popular tourist attraction that receives roughly one million visitors a week.
The shooting, which has attracted international attention, took place in the mall’s busy lower-level food court.
Victim was dead at the scene
The mall was locked down immediately after the shooting, but Borg said police did not locate any suspects during their search.
While an autopsy has not yet been completed, Borg said the victim was shot “multiple times and was pronounced dead at the scene.”
Borg said six other people were wounded in the shooting:
- A 25-year-old woman was wounded in her left leg and has been released from hospital.
- A 22-year-old man was also wounded in his left leg and also released from hospital.
- A 23-year-old man remains in hospital after suffering “multiple gunshot injuries” to his neck and chest.
- A 13-year-old boy who was visiting from out of town with his family was wounded in the head and remains in hospital.
- A 30-year-old woman suffered a “gunshot-graze wound” to her abdomen and has been released from hospital.
- A 22-year-old woman was wounded in the hand, but left hospital without treatment.
Additionally, a 28-year-old pregnant woman went into labour after being knocked down in the rush to flee the area. However, she was discharged from hospital on Sunday and did not give birth.
The mall re-opened Monday morning at its regular time.
Storekeepers said they were not concerned about coming to work. They said they feel reassured it was an isolated incident and that a suspect is in custody.
One man did say he feels a bit “tense,” because the shooting was apparently gang related, so problems could recur.
The food court where the shooting happened is expected to remain closed until Tuesday.
using the number/letter grid:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A B C D E F G H I
J K L M N O P Q R
S T U V W X Y Z
A = 1 J = 1 S = 1
B = 2 K = 2 T = 2
C = 3 L = 3 U = 3
D = 4 M = 4 V = 4
E = 5 N = 5 W = 5
F = 6 O = 6 X = 6
G = 7 P = 7 Y = 7
H = 8 Q = 8 Z = 8
I = 9 R = 9
his primary challenge = AH = 18 = Toronto. Surreal. Like a bad dream.
comprehensive summary and list of predictions for 2012:
discover some of your own numerology for FREE at:
learn numerology from numerologist to the world, Ed Peterson: